Programs inform customers about peak demand periods and high electricity prices, providing them the opportunity to slightly adjust energy consumption to significantly reduce their energy costs.
HOUSTON & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Gexa Energy, LP, a leading retail electricity provider in Texas, and AutoGrid Systems, the Energy Internet leader, today introduced three new demand response programs for commercial and industrial customers located in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) market. Gexa Energy is offering ControlComm powered by AutoGrid’s enterprise grade, intelligent and highly scalable Demand Response Optimization & Management System. The platform provides business customers the opportunity to lower their energy bills by adjusting their energy consumption, manually or with an automated solution, during times of peak energy demand or high wholesale electricity prices.
The demand response programs available to Gexa Energy customers include:
- Emergency Response Service (ERS): The ERS program is operated by ERCOT and allows customers with interval data recorder meters and usage in excess of 100 kilowatts to receive payments for supporting grid stability. Customers who are enrolled in the program agree to reduce electricity usage by a predefined amount when ERCOT announces an ERS event, with reduction mandatory for enrolled customers. The amount that customers can earn from the program depends on the number of hours enrolled and the clearing price for the amount of the electric load reduction.
- Real-Time Price Response (RTPR): This program enables Gexa Energy customers on a fixed price product to voluntarily reduce electricity usage when real-time market prices for electricity are high for at least an hour and are forecasted to stay high for a few hours in the future. Customers who choose to reduce their electricity usage below their calculated baseline during such periods will get paid based on the length of the time interval and the market price of electricity during the time interval.
- 4 Coincident Peak (4CP): The 4CP program enables participants to lower their energy bills by reducing electric usage during any or all of the four 15-minute ERCOT peak events that occur in June, July, August, and September. Customers that participate in the program and voluntarily reduce their electric usage during these events can reduce their transmission cost of service charges the following year. Gexa Energy provides a day ahead and week ahead notification to the customers to plan for anticipated 4-CP peaks in the ERCOT market.
Customers can choose to manually participate in all these programs or automate some or all of their participation by connecting their energy assets — building management systems, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, lighting systems, backup generators, uninterruptible power supply, and energy storage systems — to Gexa Energy ControlComm, the online demand response platform, powered by AutoGrid.
“Gexa Energy has been active in demand response for the last two years. With AutoGrid we are leveraging technology to enable customers to develop intelligent curtailment plans using forecasts developed with advanced analytics and the latest market information,” said Brian Landrum, President of Gexa Energy. “These new demand response programs, along with our existing energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other energy services, help our customers implement smart energy strategies that meet their business objectives.”
“We are delighted that Gexa Energy has chosen AutoGrid to provide their customers with advanced analytics-based demand response programs that will allow them to maximize energy savings from their demand response and distributed energy resources,” said Dr. Amit Narayan, CEO of AutoGrid. “With these new programs, Gexa Energy will be able to provide personalized services to their customers, increase their profitability, and forge stronger long-term relationships with them.”
Demand Response Tailored to Meet the Needs of C&I Customers
Gexa Energy’s ControlComm provides customers with a superior experience throughout the demand response program lifecycle – from enrollment and device provisioning, to energy use and load shed analysis, to personalized notifications and timely customer feedback. The Gexa Energy ControlComm platform features:
- Hassle Free Automation: ControlComm integrates grid operator demand response event signals directly into its system, and also features support for OpenADR and other demand response communications standards, enabling customers to choose their level of automation — be it manual, semi-automated or fully automated.
- Powerful Forecasting and Analytics: ControlComm features built-in forecasting algorithms which use advanced machine learning technology to provide more accurate forecasts of when demand response events are likely to be scheduled, helping customer better plan for demand response events while minimizing unnecessary alerts.
- Deep Customer Engagement: ControlComm gives customers the ability to analyze historical and interval energy data, delivering them personalized notifications on cost-savings opportunities via email or the ControlComm customer portal.
Gexa Energy’s ControlComm is also available to customers located in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic offering a suite of products optimized for the PJM market.
About Gexa Energy, LP
(PUCT # 10027) Since entering the Texas market in 2002, Gexa Energy, LP has established itself as one of the leading retail electricity providers for residential and commercial customers in the state of Texas. Gexa Energy, LP is a subsidiary of NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.5 billion, , and approximately 14,300 employees in 27 states and Canada as of year-end 2015, as well as approximately 45,000 megawatts of generation capacity as of April 2016. For additional information about Gexa Energy, visit www.GexaEnergy.com or call 866-961-9399.
About AutoGrid Systems
AutoGrid builds software applications that enable a smarter Energy Internet. The company’s suite of Energy Internet applications allows utilities, electricity retailers, renewable energy project developers, and energy service providers to deliver cheap, clean, and reliable energy by managing networked distributed energy resources (DERs) in real time and at scale. AutoGrid applications are all built on the AutoGrid Energy Data Platform (EDP), with patented Predictive Controls™ technology that leverages petabytes of smart meter, sensor and third-party data, along with powerful data science and high-performance computing algorithms, to monitor, predict, optimize and control the operations of millions of assets connected across global energy networks.
The world’s leading energy companies, including E.ON, Bonneville Power Administration, Florida Power & Light Company, Southern California Edison, Eneco, Portland General Electric, CPS Energy, New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, NextEra Energy, and CLEAResult are using AutoGrid’s software to improve their operations, integrate renewables, and drive deeper engagement with their customers. AutoGrid has been recognized with several prestigious industry awards including Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer 2016, World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer 2015, Red Herring Top 100 North America 2015, Industrial Innovation Company of the Year by the Cleantech Group, and Green Product of the Year by the BIG Awards for Business Programs.